12 Days of Giving, Day 7: Bring Healthy Appies to Your Next Holiday Party
We all know the holiday drill: drink too much, eat too many rich foods, spend too much money, and end up needing a vacation from your holiday come January.
Sometimes, though, even the smallest change can disrupt the whole December cycle, setting you up for a much healthier January.
As an example of one such disruption, here's a little gift for you and every party you go to this season: healthy appies!
Bringing any one of these to a party (or making them at home) ensures you'll have something to snack on that isn't full of sugar, unhealthy fats or tons of sodium. Better yet, you'll be spreading the (healthy) love by sharing with friends. Sounds like a recipe for a better end to December, don't you think?
Healthy Holiday Appie #1: Guilt-Free Kale & Artichoke Dip
Recipe modified from: Delish
- 1 1/2 c. finely chopped kale
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Dash of sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups Greek or coconut yogurt
- 1/4 cup organic or vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red pepper
- 1/2 carrot, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped artichoke hearts
Combine kale , olive oil and lemon juice in a small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Massage kale with your hands to soften the kale and infuse the flavour of the olive oil and lemon juice. Let sit for about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, mix the rest of ingredients in a large bowl or serving vessel. Fold in chopped kale and check for seasoning.
Serve with organic corn chips, sourdough bread, or veggies!
Healthy Holiday Appie #2: California Sushi Bites
Recipe modified from: Delish
- 1 avocado
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 large cucumber, sliced into 1/4" coins
- 8 oz. crabmeat
- 1/2 cup organic or vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tsp. sriracha
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced (plus more for garnish)
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- Soy sauce or wheat free tamari, for serving
Thinly sliced avocado then toss slices in lemon juice. Top each cucumber slice with avocado and season with salt and pepper.
In a medium bowl, combine crabmeat, mayonnaise, Sriracha, and green onions. Season with salt and pepper, and squeeze more lemon juice into the mixture, if desired.
Top each cucumber sliced with a small scoop of the crab mixture. Sprinkle sesame seeds over each serving.
Serve with soy sauce or wheat free tamari, for dipping.
Healthy Holiday Appie #3: Greek Salad Skewers
Recipe modified form: Delish
- 1 big block of feta (about 12-oz.), cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh dill
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- Flaky sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 12 pitted kalamata olives
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 1 cucumber, cut into 12 large cubes
Marinate feta: In a small bowl, combine feta, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, dill and parsley. Season with salt and pepper, then toss until cheese is fully coated in the marinade. Let sit for 15 minutes.
Assemble skewers by layering feta, olives, cherry tomatoes and cucumber onto medium skewers.