Healthy Valentines Treats, ft. Cacao
In my last post I left you all jazzed about eating chocolate (cacao, specifically) for, ahem, health purposes, so I figured I should provide a few recipes you can make for your sweetheart this Valentine’s Day.
Each is from a reputable, healthy online source, and each is a *delicious* treat that doesn’t taste healthy at all… I promise.
Enjoy your v-day with these sweet, healthy treats!
Coconut Cacao Tahini Snack Bites
From The Minimalist Baker
- 1 1/2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour or meal
- 2 Tbsp flaxseed meal
- 3 Tbsp hemp seeds
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup tahini
- 4-5 Tbsp coconut butter
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs
- Healthy pinch sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2-3 pitted dates
- To a food processor, add all ingredients and blend until a thick paste/ball forms (see photo) ~5 minutes. Scrape down sides as needed.
- If mixture is too thick, add more coconut butter or tahini. If mixture is too thin, add more almond flour or shredded coconut. It should be thick and scoop-able.
- Scoop out 2-Tbsp amounts and arrange on a parchment-lined baking sheet. You should have about 20 bites.
- Set in freezer or refrigerator to firm up. Once firm to the touch, they're ready to enjoy. For best results, store in the freezer up to 1 month or refrigerator up to 1 week. If storing in the freezer, let thaw 5-10 minutes before enjoying for best texture.
Easy No-Bake Fudge
From Cookie & Kate
- ½ cup coconut butter (coconut pieces pulsed in a food processor until smooth)
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 2 small ripe bananas, cut into one-inch chunks
- ¼ cup raw cacao powder
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch sea salt
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor until smooth, roughly five minutes or so.
- Use a spatula to pour the mixture into a flat, sealable container.
- Place the container in the freezer. The fudge needs to be super cold in order to retain its shape, so I find that it’s best to store the fudge in the freezer. If you store it in the fridge, it will have a semi-solid mousse-like texture.
Chocolate Covered Strawberries (the classic!)
From Oh She Glows
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder, sifted
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup (or agave)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 tbsp all-natural nut butter
- 1/4 scant tsp fine grain sea salt, or to taste
- Unsweetened shredded coconut, to garnish
- Optional pink glaze: 1/2 cup icing (confectioner’s) sugar, 1 large strawberry, 1/2-1 tbsp strawberry jam, processed in a mini blender (makes enough to glaze about 8-10)
- Wash and pat the strawberries dry. Set aside.
- In a small pot, whisk together the maple syrup, coconut oil, nut butter, and cocoa powder over low to medium heat. Whisk for a couple minutes until all the coconut oil is melted and remove from heat.
- Dip strawberries into the chocolate mixture, coating most of the strawberry. Place onto a plate lined with parchment paper or on a wire rack. Repeat for the rest and sprinkle with coconut. Chill in the fridge to set.
- If making the pink frosting: with a mini food processor, combine the icing sugar, strawberry, and jam until smooth. You may need to add a bit more icing sugar depending on the consistency of your jam. If you don’t have a mini processor I suggest not using the whole strawberry and just mixing in a bit more jam into the icing sugar until the right consistency is achieved.
- Spoon the frosting into a baggie and snip off the end. Pipe frosting onto the strawberries and place back in the fridge until firm.
Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Quinoa Cookies
From Joyous Health
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa flakes (or quinoa flour)
- 1 cup unsweetened unsulfured shredded coconut
- 4 large bananas, mashed
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup dark organic unsweetened chocolate chips
- 1.5 tbsp organic raw cacao
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash bananas with a fork and add vanilla and coconut sugar.
- Add cooked quinoa, quinoa flakes, shredded coconut and raw cacao. Mix well until combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and drop batter onto cookie sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.