The Second Healthy Day of Christmas: Healthy Nog!
It's the second day of my Twelve Healthy Days of Christmas, and today I'm going to tackle a very serious holiday subject: Nog!
Egg Nog is an old classic and a favourite this time of year, especially the grown-up version mixed with rum.
While it's a tradition and, I'll admit it, it tastes pretty good, it's also LOADED with refined sugar and is the king of dairy-based beverages. Yesterday I explained that moderation, not abstinence, is the key to enjoying a healthy holiday this year. You might also try substitution - Joy over at Joyous Health has developed this incredible recipe for non-dairy, non-egg, non-refined-sugar nog. Doesn't sound too appealing? Try it. Trust me. You won't miss a thing.
Vegan Nog from Joyous Health
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 can (400mL) full-fat organic coconut milk (make sure it's been chilled)
- 1-1/2 cups almond, hemp or oat milk
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar or local real maple syrup
- 1 tsp organic ground cinnamon (get the non-irradiated stuff from health food store. It's the most heavenly scent EVER!)
- 1/4 tsp organic ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp organic ground cloves
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract or 1/2 tsp vanilla powder
- Cinnamon stick to make it look pretty, of course!
Combine the banana, milk, sugar, spices and vanilla extract into your blender.
Blend on high for 30 seconds.
Makes 4-6 cups.