My top 3 weight loss tips

Dr. Marita Schauch

The holidays are over, and you’re likely eager to get started on your New Year’s resolutions. Whether you’re looking to include a few more self-care practices into your lifestyle or lose a couple pounds, here are my top 3 tips for effective and sustainable weight-loss:

  1. Minimize alcohol consumption

Alcohol can inhibit lipid oxidation, meaning when alcohol is in your system, it’s more difficult for your body to burn fat. Additionally, alcohol contains a high sugar content, which promotes insulin resistance and can lead to weight gain if consumed regularly. Alcohol can also induce hunger, leading to overeating or carb cravings. I recommend limiting your alcohol consumption, and if you are going to have a social beverage, choose a low-sugar option such as vodka with soda and lime.

2. Stick to the 80-20 rule

Your health doesn’t need to sway from one extreme to the other; I’m a firm believer in indulging in moderation, even if when you’re trying to lose weight. I recommend the 80-20 rule, meaning 80 per cent of your diet is clean, and the other 20 per cent is indulging in whatever you’re craving. The key is to ensure that you can control your indulgences, and that you don’t completely fall off the wagon. But if you do - don’t be hard on yourself! It’s all a practice, so check in with yourself if you over-indulge and ask yourself how you can do better next time. Set yourself up for success.

3. Find an accountability buddy

While you can lose weight on your own, it might feel easier (or more fun!) to do it with a friend or family member. This way, you can check in with each other to ensure you hold one another accountable to your weight loss goals. I recommend sticking to a structured routine, whether that’s with a weekly phone chat, a fitness class, or combined Sunday meal prep. See what works for you, and stick with it!