Picnic-ables: Soba Noodle & Raw Veggie Salad
I'm in love with this weather - summer is the greatest. One of my favorite summer activities is to go picnicking on lazy Sunday afternoons, preferably at a beach. Bliss!
Like barbaques, though, summer picnics can be a bit of a trap when it comes to healthy eating: cold, deep-fried chicken, gluten-heavy, creamy pasta salad, and desserts laden with sugar are common fare.
When I picnic, I prefer to make a tasty soba noodle salad. Soba noodles are made with buckwheat (look for 100% buckwheat soba noodles if you're avoiding gluten) and are packed with anti-oxidants and other nutrients. This recipe from Cookie & Kate is a great option for your next picnic, or even just for dinner on the back deck. Enjoy!
Soba Noodle & Raw Veggie Salad
- 8 ounces soba noodles
- ½ cup reduced sodium tamari (or soy sauce, just be sure it's reduced sodium or it will taste too salty)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons quality peanut oil, olive oil or vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- ¾ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced thin
- ¼ head of red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 3 whole carrots, shredded with vegetable peeler
- 2 cups shelled edamame, steamed
- ½ cup toasted sesame seeds
- one lime, juiced
- 1 jalapeño, finely chopped
- peanut butter!