Somethin' for the Fellas: Maca Superfood Smoothie
Earlier this week I explained the reality of Male Adrenal Fatigue - the release of the hormone cortisol by the adrenal glands can affect testosterone levels in the body, greatly impacting men's energy, sex drive & performance, and muscle development.
One of my suggestions was to incorporate the root Maca into your diet if you think you're experiencing adrenal fatigue.
Maca is amazing! It's an adaptogen (a natural substance that helps the body adapt to stress and normalizes bodily functions), an immune booster, and supports both male and female fertility. It's also thought to increase energy, which helps when suffering from any kind of fatigue.
The smoothie below from Healthy Smoothie Headquarters is both specific and open to modification - start with the basics if you're new the the world of the superfood smoothie, and build out from there!
Maca Superfood Smoothie Recipe
- 1 cup almond, coconut, or hemp milk
- 1 fresh or frozen medium banana
- 1/2 tablespoon maca powder (for the seasoned maca consumer, use 1 tablespoon or more)
- 1 serving of a plant-based, organic protein powder (try hemp protein, pumpkin seed protein, or any Vega product.)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- A little honey or maple syrup to sweeten (optional)
- 1/2 tablespoon cacao powder and/or nibs (the nibs are great sprinkled on top)
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen berries of choice
- 1/s teaspoon vanilla extract
Place all the ingredients into your high-speed blender and blend for around 30-45 seconds or until desired consistency is reached.