Have a Healthy Valentine's (with Vegan Truffles)!
Happy heart day to all of you!
My hubby and I took a gorgeous trip to Whistler over the weekend, so tonight will be low-key for us - a tasty meal at home, maybe a nice glass of (organic!) red... and these sweet treats for dessert.
Truffles are soooo good, and this spin on the traditional recipe from The Minimalist Baker contains only a wee bit of (organic!) powdered sugar.
If you don't have cocoa butter at home already, you can sub coconut oil and 2 tbsp of cocoa powder... they'll just be a little softer, and melt a little faster once out of the fridge/freezer.
Vegan Chocolate Truffles
- 1/2 cup (67 g) raw macadamia nuts
- 1 1/2 cups (120 g) desiccated (finely shredded) unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup (54 g) finely chopped cocoa butter, melted
- 2-4 Tbsp (16-32 g) organic powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch sea salt
- 3/4 cup (60 g) desiccated (finely shredded) unsweetened coconut
- Add macadamia nuts and desiccated coconut to a food processor and mix until a creamy paste is formed, scraping down sides as needed.
- Add melted cocoa butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, and sea salt and mix once more to combine. Taste and adjust flavour as needed, adding more salt for saltiness, vanilla for vanilla flavour, or powdered sugar for sweetness.
- Transfer the mixture to a shallow plate or a bowl and place in the refrigerator to chill for about 1 hour or until firm to the touch (especially in the centre). In the meantime, add 3/4 cup desiccated coconut to a small dish (for rolling). Set aside.
- Remove mixture from refrigerator and use a tablespoon or small cookie scoop to scoop out rounded tablespoon amounts. Either leave as a "disc" shape or gently roll into balls. If you roll for too long, they can start to melt, so don't fuss too much with the shape.
- Once formed, add to the desiccated coconut dish and roll to coat. Set on a serving plate. Repeat until all truffles are rolled - about 10.
- Set back in refrigerator for 5-10 minutes until mostly firm/set. Store leftovers at room temperature up to 3-4 days, in the refrigerator for 1 week, or in the freezer for 1 month. Best enjoyed at room temperature. (Note: if you use coconut oil and cocoa powder, store in the fridge/freezer, not at room temp.!)